Robert T. Rhode

Robert T. Rhode
Robert T. Rhode

Sunday, October 11, 2015

Rustic Prints 2



The odd shape of the frame is the first feature of this rustic print that appeals to me. The sloping upper corners remind me of objects considered sacred.

The print itself is admittedly inexpensively produced. Even so, the illustration does a marvelous job of evoking the autumn! The pumpkins and the shocks of corn are straight from Hoosier poet James Whitcomb Riley’s nostalgic poem “When the Frost Is on the Punkin.” The humble cottage in the background makes me think of my many Irish ancestors, who undoubtedly knew similar cottages. The smoke arising from the chimney suggests the presence of happy inhabitants of the warm kitchen on a fall day. As the trees have held onto their leaves while the season has advanced, they might be sturdy oaks.

Framed Rustic Print of Shocks of Corn and Pumpkins

To the left is a house or barn where the road bends, and to the right is a dwelling beyond a fence. Our friends in the cottage need not feel lonely, for neighbors surround them at respectful rural distances. The country road is raised above the field and curves merrily amid green grass. I find the highway inviting; I want to walk along it to see where it leads. Penetrating the thin layer of cloud, sunlight imparts a glow to the scene. Crows in the sky are taking advantage of the good weather to discover kernels of corn dropped by the farmers.

I remain an admirer of such antique prints of rural settings. Having worked as an illustrator, I am aware of the challenges of capturing viewers’ attention and helping shape their response. The artist who combined these homes, oaks, crows, shocks, and clouds was adept at assembling elements implying autumn in the way that it is experienced throughout much of rural America. Whoever owned this framed print long ago must surely have been proud to hang it on the wall of a parlor where the scene was admired year ‘round. I recall a similar print in the waiting room of the small-town dentist that my parents took me to see when I was in junior high school.

Vintage rustic illustrations range from exuberant, through spiritual, through mysterious, to sorrowful. This print belongs toward the joyful end of the spectrum, although virtually any fall scene can hint at the possibility of a bitter winter not far off. I see this art as conveying the happiness inherent in the harvest. Food is abundant, the pantry is full, nature is glorious, and joy is ubiquitous. The scene is, then, a celebration!

No comments:

Post a Comment