Robert T. Rhode

Robert T. Rhode
Robert T. Rhode

Sunday, December 4, 2016

Coffee Shops 2



Tipp City, Ohio, was founded as Tippecanoe in 1840. The name “Tippecanoe” was a nickname for General William Henry Harrison, who claimed to have handed a confederation of Native Americans a defeat on November 7th in 1811. The name is derived from a Native American term, Kithtipecanunk (Kitapkwanunk in the language of the Miami people) meaning “buffalo-fish place,” which may refer to a location with plentiful fish and game. In 1841, Harrison became the ninth President of the United States but served only a month, dying from pneumonia. William Henry was the grandfather of Benjamin Harrison, the 23rd President. Tippecanoe was located beside the Miami & Erie Canal. In 1938, the name was changed to Tipp City, to distinguish the town from a hamlet by the same name in eastern Ohio. When I visit Tipp City (which is often), I get my low-fat latte at Old Tippecanoe Coffee Company, which is on North Second Street.

Latte at Old Tippecanoe Coffee Company
In Tipp City, Ohio
(Another customer turned to me and said,
“That looks yummy!” I verify that, yes, the latte was!)

The coffee shop is one of many destinations for me. Tipp City is blessed with lovely homes and lively shopping. The Hotel Gallery on Main Street offers a wide range of artistic items from ceramics, through accessories, to jewelry. I have bought more items than I can name here, but I will mention that I purchased a vase from the potter who made it; its grace and beauty greet me every morning. In my view, Crossroads Consignments has no competitor; it is the finest consignment store in my experience. Treasures have made their way to my home after nearly all my visits! Readers familiar with Tipp City can recommend many more businesses, including boutiques and antique shops.

Old Tippecanoe Coffee Company gives me reliably excellent lattes, carefully prepared. The baristas are personable experts. From the tables and chairs in the front of the shop or the outdoor seating area, views of a street as American as the proverbial apple pie please the eye. Relaxation typifies my experience at Old Tippecanoe. With the aroma of the latte rising up around me, I glimpse families strolling along flower-bordered sidewalks. Life hardly gets better!

Tipp City affords several places to buy good coffee, but Old Tippecanoe holds a special place in my estimation. I once spoke with the owner, who shared valuable information about why it makes good sense to order a latte. She was as friendly as she was knowledgeable, and I came away with the conviction that she appreciated my business.  

No comments:

Post a Comment