Robert T. Rhode

Robert T. Rhode
Robert T. Rhode

Sunday, February 12, 2017

Tipp City Finds 6 (Last Installment in This Series)



On the Fourth of July in 1912, the American flag changed. It now boasted forty-eight stars, instead of forty-six. New Mexico had joined the union on the 6th of January; Arizona, on the 14th of February. Designs of the flag have differed over the years, with some staggering the rows of stars. One of my finds in Tipp City, Ohio, is a flag from before 1959, when the design was altered to reflect the admission of Alaska. (The flag was soon changed again with the admission of Hawaii.)

A 48-Star Flag
From Crossroads Consignments
In Tipp City, Ohio

I purchased the flag at Crossroads Consignments before owner Becky Peura had yet put a price tag on it. Even though the old flag is not fancy, I fell in love with it. I have a top-of-the-line fifty-star flag with embroidered stars and the proverbial “whole nine yards,” but Becky’s vintage flag spoke to me about the glory of the past. The blue field is merely printed around the star shapes, and the cotton fabric is thin. There are no holes and only light stains that barely show. The inexpensive pole has a honey-toned finish for which I am an automatic sucker. What is it about such amber-colored wood that I find so attractive? Maybe it reminds me of the schools and churches of my happy youth.

My fancy fifty-star flag goes outside on flag-flying days such as Memorial Day, but my old flag remains indoors. It is so thin that breezes might soon shred it. On days of historical significance, I proudly display it in a stand in my solarium.

Whenever I view my old flag, I remember my great uncle that served in the First World War and my father’s first cousin, who served in World War II. I recall Fourth of July celebrations when I was young. I think of patriotic songs performed when I was a member of the famed Marching Hundred Band at Indiana University. Many such recollections crowd my thoughts at the sight of the red, the white, and the blue.

I can hardly pinpoint exactly why I wanted the old flag the moment I laid eyes on it, but I attest that I have never doubted the wisdom of my purchase.   

No comments:

Post a Comment