Robert T. Rhode

Robert T. Rhode
Robert T. Rhode

Sunday, December 21, 2014

Recipe for Yeast Rolls



When I was growing up, Christmas meant gathering in a warm kitchen redolent with the aroma of yeast rolls. As the holidays are well underway, I will share my mother’s recipe for rolls so delicious that they are sure to become favorites in your family.

First, I hope you will indulge me in relating an anecdote. Once, eight of us friends and family were gathered around the dinner table. My mother, Ida, had served everyone and was the last to take her chair. The plate of rolls was at the far end of the table. My mother turned to her friend and said, “Mary, toss me one of those rolls.”

Mary said, “Catch, Ida!” Mary then hurled a roll at my mother, who fumbled it but deflected it toward the mashed potatoes. The group burst into laughter! As the roll had not fallen to the floor, it was rescued. Such exuberance has a way of wrapping the years, tying joyful memories into a bow.
My Brother and I Carving Pumpkins at the Table Where  Many Yeast Rolls Were Prepared and Enjoyed Not Only at Christmas But Also Throughout the Year
When you form the dough, you want it fairly wet and sticky, so that the rolls will melt in your mouth. Avoid the temptation to double the recipe. I have tried to do so several times, and the rolls are too dry and tend to turn too brown on the bottom. My mother always formed her rolls in her hands, with each dough ball about the size of a golf ball, but, if you prefer smaller rolls, you can make the dough the size of a Ping-Pong ball. My mother also used compressed yeast in cubes, which must be dissolved in cold water, as listed in the ingredients. Today, packets of dry yeast are much more common and can be used in this recipe. Websites advise placing such yeast in warm water. When working with yeast packets, I have continued to use cold water from a tap and have achieved excellent results. I probably am succeeding because the water is not as cold as water from a bottle in the refrigerator.

Ingredients

¼ cup butter
¼ cup shortening
¼ cup sugar
¾ tsp salt
½ cup boiling water
1 egg beaten
1 packet yeast
½ cup cold water
3½ cups flour not sifted

Directions

Place butter, shortening, sugar, and salt in a large mixing bowl and pour over them the boiling water. Stir until well mixed and let stand until cool. Add yeast to the cold water and let stand until dissolved. Add egg and yeast to shortening mixture and blend well. Add flour and beat until well mixed. Turn mixture into a large buttered bowl, cover, and place in refrigerator overnight or longer.

When ready to form into rolls, the dough should be extremely soft. It can be shaped into any desired roll shape or even a ring. Have hands lightly floured to prevent sticking.

Let rise in warmest part of your kitchen until dough doubles in bulk. Place in 400° oven until golden, about 10 or 15 minutes for rolls, longer for coffee cakes.      

No comments:

Post a Comment